Vogue 1395 Plaid Sleeve-Tie Dress

The start of the rainy season was just announced where I live. This dress is perfect for such a season. Does this dress look like a shirt dress? It's a just pull over dress. I added the some cuffs on the ties of the dress.

This lovely pattern was designed by Rebecca Taylor: Vogue 1395. First, The third photo shows the dress that I used made with this pattern for the first time two years ago. I used Liberty tana lawn (Kitty grace) and did not really change the design.
The picture on the left shows Vogue1248. The red skirt in the right is from a Japanese brand. I call this type of skirt  "sleeve belt skirt" in Japanese but I don't know how to translate this into English. I sometimes see the skirts with the sleeve-belt designbut rarely see them on dresses, so I came up with this Idea. I changed to the unusual ties from simple ties for this dress. It was not that difficult to make. I made this dress with a plaid poly cotton fabric this time.
First, make the two faux sleeves: Total length of around 20".
Combine the ties and the sleeves.  Adjust the position of the joint.
Sew the buttons on the center of the bodice and on the cuffs.
This joint can be hidden by the knot.
I definitely recommend this pattern. I like everything about the design but the bodice pieces are too big. Especially, the neckline and arm holes are too wide. I narrowed the neckline and raised the underarm by one inch. I wanted to wear it as a midi dress, so I added seven inches to the skirt length. It's better than the previous dress I made.
It’s very comfortable to wear with an elasticated waist but it can be worn without elastic. I don't need another one in my wardrobe this season. However If I get new idea for the pattern, I might make it another year. When I wore the dress, my friend ask me if I bought the dress from Paul and Joe. It only costs about 1500 yen(15 USD). hehe^_^

Total time spent: 10 hours
Fabric: 60" 2 5/8

14 comments

  1. Oh another beautiful dress! And what a nice job you did matching the stripes! GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tomasa! I am pleased! This fabric is really cheap but I love it.

      Delete
  2. What a cute dress! The shirt sleeve ties are adorable. One of those subtle, creative details that make sewing so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy! I love the ties! I enjoyed myself while I made it:)))

      Delete
  3. Eli, you did it again! This looks like you paid a high price tag. The sleeve ties are fantastic, what a great idea. I think I could live in this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praising me, Maureen. I am so flatterd:) I love the sleeve ties, I might make a skirt version.

      Delete
  4. Sarah webb6/08/2016

    LOVE this Eli! I have some Yohji Yamamoto dungarees ( bought in a sale!) that have a sleeve belt but had not thought of using them like you have. If you don't mind ,I will be copying your idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! If you make the clothes with the sleeve belt, I would love to see yours:) I haven't seen a sleeve belt from Yohji but I found the vintage yohji jumpsuit on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/jp/listing/273683658/vintage-90s-yamamoto-jumpsuit-1990s?ref=market
      I would like to make the jumpsuit version too. Thank you for the information!

      Delete
  5. This is such a beautiful dress; I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley! I am glad that you like it:)))

      Delete
  6. This is so beautiful, Cat. I love your fabric selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your comments are always encourage me:)

      Delete
  7. Another lovely work! The neckline of this dress really suits your figure, and the idea of adding the sleeves is so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maya-san! This dress is good for summmer. I really love it:)))

      Delete