McCall's 7015 Paisley Velvet Dress

I made this dress with paisley velvet.



Recently, I purchased the velvet. I had an image of a velvet dress in children's clothing, and I avoided making any of my clothes with any velvet. However, I found a nice stretch velvet fabric that is appropriate for a women's dress. I made McCall's 7015; view A and love this princess-seamed dress styled with a flouncy skirt.

I compared my measurements and the pattern. I thought the skirt length and sleeves were too short. I didn't want to wear a mini dress in winter, so I added to the length by 2 3/4 inches, also shortened the bodice by 3/4 inch. I only had 45" 3 3/8 yd of fabric, so I squeezed the pieces on the fabric. If you will make a knee length dress from this pattern (view A), I recommend that you prepare fabric that is over 45" 3 3/4yd. I guess most of models are over 5" 8' tall, but this model in the envelope photo is shorter, or she is wearing the dress whose sleeves and skirt length is longer than the pattern.


I almost didn't change the design. I attached the rhinestones around the neck line. I wanted to wear the dress in winter, but this pattern doesn't have a lining. If you would like to add a lining, I recommend that you use a stretch fabric, because this pattern has 8 bodice parts and a three dimensional design. This time, I sewed only three pieces lining (it's too much hassle to cut and sew 8 bodice pieces for lining!).

I made these earrings too. I used the left over fur fabric when I made the fur vest (here) before. They were very easy to make!

1. Cut and sew some fur fabric.
(Diameter about 1 3/8 in or 3.5 cm)

2. Pull the thread, so that it makes a pom-pom.

3. Pierce a hole into the pom-pom.

4. Through pin or wire.

5. Finish!

I usually wear this dress with a leather jacket or a fur vest, because I realized that a dress, it slightly reminds me of a... spotted SEAL! (especially from behind) I love seals, but I don't want to look like them.
I have to go on a diet...( ̄◇ ̄;)


Fabric: 45" 3 3/8 yd
Total time spent: 10 hours


26 comments

  1. Lord the seal thing was too funny! Thank you for the information on the changes you made. The dress looks good on you. Your embellishments are tasteful and perfect for the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend! It was the first time that I made the velvet dress. I've touched some seals in Mexico, they were soft and very smooth as velvet:)

      Delete
  2. You have such good taste in fabrics! The paisley velvet is lovely. And your earrings are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Siobhan. I really love the dress too, it's warm and comfortable.

      Delete
  3. Eli, what a super dress! Velvet is difficult to sew with- how did you find this one? Paisley is a favourite motif of mine.I plan to make some of those earrings now- thanks foe the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. I love the paisley pattern too! I bought this velvet from Rakuten store (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hideki/13075/). It costs 86yen per 10centimeters, cheap! (^-^)

      Delete
  4. I love the rich look the velvet offers! Your print and pattern is lovely! The dress looks great on you - and I don't think you need to worry about resembling a seal! I love the idea of making fur earnings! I may have to try it since my room is still full or blue fur scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Georgia! I am glad that you like my idea. Your blue fur is really good for making jewelry:) Why don’t you make your daughter's hair accessory?

      Delete
    2. That's another good idea! I might try something!

      Delete
  5. what a great look on you and I imagine it is fun to walk in that full skirt and have it move. plus your earrings, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! I am glad that hear from you. I really love your tunic, it's a perfect job.

      Delete
  6. I love your earrings! They're adorable and so creative! I also love how you style your new dress with your leather jacket. Your style is fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Alli! I love making Jewelry. I am glad that the earrings go well with the dress.
      P.S. I use a Juki HZL-F600 too, but I haven't made any quilts(^_^;)

      Delete
  7. You, the dress and earrings are fabulous !!!
    Use it happily, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear my friend. I love these earrings and dress too! I will wear them a lot.

      Delete
  8. Pretty dress! I love the velvet too but never make anything with it. Love the dress details and your earrings are to die for.
    P.S. The seal is so funny :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hana. It was the first time that I made the velvet clothing. This dress isn't heavy than I expected:)

      Delete
  9. I love it! The fabric print is such a lovely color and design. You are so talented and your earrings look fabulous with your dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Shirley! I love the colour too. I think these earrings go well with the dress:)

      Delete
  10. Your dress is beautiful and those earrings are so much fun! I especially like your dress with the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tomasa! I am really glad that hear from you! I am look forward to your next perfect.

      Delete
  11. Hi I am making a embroidery dresses if any one having please contact me
    WhatsApp no 7575075840

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are really great at matching fabric with patterns. This fabric is so perfect for the pattern and your dress turned out so beautiful. I love the earrings as well - you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I love the dress and the earrings. I would love to make an another pom-pom earrings:)

      Delete